Setanta "bait and switch"
William A. T. Clark
2007-09-13 14:18:19 UTC
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.

Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?

William Clark
Rugby Dan
2007-09-13 14:55:28 UTC
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
William Clark
Bill its been like that since the start........this gives
the bars a chance to make $$$ so its not a surprise.....
William A. T. Clark
2007-09-13 18:05:33 UTC
Post by Rugby Dan
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
William Clark
Bill its been like that since the start........this gives
the bars a chance to make $$$ so its not a surprise.....
Yes, well see my follow up post - Setanta are throwing revenue away by
operating like this.

William Clark
Richard Bridgman
2007-09-13 16:00:10 UTC
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
It's outrageous. I gave up on Setanta a few months ago and switched
from DiecTV to AT&T cable. Far better service anyway...loads more HD
channels. AT&T also show all the games on a delay (1 or 2 days) on a
channel called "versus". For the big games I'm resigned to getting up
early and nipping over to the nearest sports bar.
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
JollyRoger
2007-09-13 16:29:14 UTC
Post by Richard Bridgman
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
It's outrageous. I gave up on Setanta a few months ago and switched
from DiecTV to AT&T cable. Far better service anyway...loads more HD
channels. AT&T also show all the games on a delay (1 or 2 days) on a
channel called "versus". For the big games I'm resigned to getting up
early and nipping over to the nearest sports bar.
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
You have a sports bar that shows Rugby!? Round here if you ask for
the rugby channel you get a blank stare and a "wutd?".

Jolly
Dave Keegan
2007-09-13 16:35:54 UTC
Post by JollyRoger
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
You have a sports bar that shows Rugby!? Round here if you ask for
the rugby channel you get a blank stare and a "wutd?".
Jolly
Try this jolly. I was surprised how many bars are showing games
locally

http://130.94.23.190/navenuefinder.html

Keegan...
William A. T. Clark
2007-09-13 18:04:36 UTC
Post by Dave Keegan
Post by JollyRoger
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
You have a sports bar that shows Rugby!? Round here if you ask for
the rugby channel you get a blank stare and a "wutd?".
Jolly
Try this jolly. I was surprised how many bars are showing games
locally
http://130.94.23.190/navenuefinder.html
Keegan...
I found two within 100 miles. Isn't that special?! You would think that
Setanta would be asking themselves why there aren't more, and whether
they could do better by not being such pricks.

Seriously though, let's suppose that each of these pubs gets 100 people
to watch a game (and that is a very generous estimate when you know how
big Fado's is). So we have 200 folk paying $20 each for a game - a grand
total of $4,000. Given that over 3 million people live in the area
served by these two venues, they only have to attract 400 subscribers to
the channel to match that. Even if they have a game every weekend of the
month, that still only comes to 1,600 homes. That should be trivial to
do, and they wouldn't have to put up with the ill-will that their
current policies create.

Someone at their HQ is not thinking very clearly.

William Clark

William Clark
JollyRoger
2007-09-13 22:24:01 UTC
Post by Dave Keegan
Post by JollyRoger
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
You have a sports bar that shows Rugby!? Round here if you ask for
the rugby channel you get a blank stare and a "wutd?".
Jolly
Try this jolly. I was surprised how many bars are showing games
locally
http://130.94.23.190/navenuefinder.html
Keegan...- Hide quoted text -
Thanks Dave, already tried it. Closest spot is in Portland, which is
about an hour away from me. Guess small town values and international
exposure dont mix...

Jolly
William A. T. Clark
2007-09-13 17:56:03 UTC
Post by JollyRoger
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
You have a sports bar that shows Rugby!? Round here if you ask for
the rugby channel you get a blank stare and a "wutd?".
Jolly
Yes, one of those "Irish" pubs, that would not last the week in Co.
Mayo. It's 20+ miles away on the other side of town, though.

William Clark
Dave Keegan
2007-09-13 16:33:39 UTC
Post by Richard Bridgman
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
It's outrageous. I gave up on Setanta a few months ago and switched
from DiecTV to AT&T cable. Far better service anyway...loads more HD
channels. AT&T also show all the games on a delay (1 or 2 days) on a
channel called "versus". For the big games I'm resigned to getting up
early and nipping over to the nearest sports bar.
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
Richard,
Versus is only showing select games, but it seems most of the better
ones.

I also kicked Directv to the curb and am very happy with Verizon's
fibre optic service.

Keegan...
muzwell
2007-09-13 19:37:59 UTC
Post by Dave Keegan
Post by William A. T. Clark
William Clark
Richard Bridgman
Richard,
Versus is only showing select games, but it seems most of the better
ones.
I also kicked Directv to the curb and am very happy with Verizon's
fibre optic service.
Keegan...
On Comcast, Versus seem to show very few games - and only then very
delayed. For example France vs. Argentina was shown on Sunday.

I'm assuming that this Setanta change only applies to their DirectTV
channel? I'm signed up to the broadband.

BTW - another option I haven't seen mentioned - a colleague watched
the ABs game on TVU Player:
http://www.tvunetworks.com/

He said it worked.
mg
2007-09-14 08:37:53 UTC
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
William Clark
Setanta are pricks. They're now in Australia and have rights to all NH
Rugby. They charged three times market value a few years back for NZ vs
England, it was so stupid Foxtel told them to get fucked and it was not
shown on Foxtel, not even delayed.

So I have'nt seen any NH Rugby all year. However if week 1 of the RWC is
anything to go by, I haven't missed much, lol.
Dave Gordon
I'm surprised Murdoch has let this happen in his backyard.
Jellybeans
2007-09-13 21:31:46 UTC
Post by William A. T. Clark
Well, surprise, surprise, Setanta are pulling their usual bait and
switch on their DirecTV subscribers. This weekend NONE of the big games
(Eng-SA, Wales-Oz, Ire-Geo, NZ-Port) will be shown live, unless you want
to fork out an extra $20 and drive 20 miles to a bar showing them. Every
game after the pool stages is also on delay.
Why does the IRB let these people hijack the RWC like this?
William Clark
What a problem in NZ, Every games live and free.