Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?
Mentalguy2k8
2013-03-13 14:23:34 UTC
He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that
the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic
anyway with his whiny voice.

Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting
in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.

I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
Radio Transcripts Ltd
2013-03-13 17:00:53 UTC
Post by Mentalguy2k8
He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that
the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic
anyway with his whiny voice.
Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting
in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
Just be grateful you do not have to listen to GRANT ("NISBO") NISBET
like us poor folk in the Shaky Isles.
Gib Bogle
2013-03-13 23:24:33 UTC
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Mark (newsgroups)
2013-03-14 07:53:47 UTC
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my favourite commentator at the moment.

Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.
JohnO
2013-03-15 03:03:35 UTC
<snip>
Post by Mark (newsgroups)
Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my favourite commentator at the moment.
Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.
Agreed. Ome bias in the NZ and SA commentators but isn't over the top.

Just not the Aussie commentators - please. Their bias is sickening.
Mentalguy2k8
2013-03-15 19:50:23 UTC
Post by Mark (newsgroups)
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit
infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my
favourite commentator at the moment.
Mexted had some wicked one-liners during the last but one RWC, made the
"small" pool games worth watching.
Post by Mark (newsgroups)
Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at
times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.
I like Skinstad too, we get him over here sometimes when we're playing
against SA. Michael Lynagh was also very good and very impartial. We always
used to get Shaun "FutzPatrick" but he always looked smug, like he'd farted
and someone else got blamed.
Dave
2013-03-24 09:01:58 UTC
Post by Mark (newsgroups)
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't.  Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO.  He really knows the game.
Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my favourite commentator at the moment.
Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.
No question, Marshall is my favorite by miles. Interesting how often
he disagrees with his co-commentators when they get a tad one eyed.
Gib Bogle
2013-03-25 06:42:07 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Mark (newsgroups)
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in
Murray Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games
and was excellent value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin
Marshall is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Mexted is good value, if you're neutral. His bias becomes a bit
infuriating otherwise, at times. Justin Marshall is very good, my
favourite commentator at the moment.
Skinstad is the most insightful of the SA commentators, but also
biased at times and a bit bland compared to the Oz and Kiwi guys.
No question, Marshall is my favorite by miles. Interesting how often
he disagrees with his co-commentators when they get a tad one eyed.
He really seems completely objective. You'd never guess that he was an
All Black (one of the best, IMO).
Andrew Dunford
2013-03-18 02:16:59 UTC
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin Marshall
is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Marshall indeed has good knowledge of the game, but spoils this by not being
able to speak English.

Andrew
calvin
2013-03-18 08:55:20 UTC
Post by Andrew Dunford
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin
Marshall is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Marshall indeed has good knowledge of the game, but spoils this by not
being able to speak English.
Ian Chappell Syndrome.
--
cheers,
calvin
Gib Bogle
2013-03-19 20:03:45 UTC
Post by Andrew Dunford
Post by Gib Bogle
Post by Mentalguy2k8
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I always appreciated Mexted, although many here didn't. Justin
Marshall is very good, IMO. He really knows the game.
Marshall indeed has good knowledge of the game, but spoils this by not
being able to speak English.
Andrew
I can understand him. I found Mexted amusing, the way he would try out
new words.
calvin
2013-03-13 23:30:00 UTC
I believe Matua has a thing for him.
--
cheers,
calvin
Baldoni
2013-03-14 20:57:34 UTC
He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I tuned
in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that the
commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic anyway
with his whiny voice.
Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting in
a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray Mexted,
he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent value.
I would prefer any one of them over Eddie Butler to be honest Mental.
Nice bloke but can't stand his commentary. They should never have let
Bill McClaren die.
--
"Ce n'est qu'un début, continuons le combat !"

Count Baldoni
Mentalguy2k8
2013-03-15 19:57:41 UTC
Post by Baldoni
Post by Mentalguy2k8
[...]
haha... I blame the BBC, Balders. I think they spent the entire sport budget
for the next century on Formula 1 and gave a big "screw you" to every other
sport. Sky have got all kinds of great commentators and pundits with
cutting-edge HD and CGI technology, the BBC got Lawrence Dallaglio in a
scarf with a pen and paper and some nasal Scottish bloke whose job it is to
pause the footage and point out where one player might have impeded another
player 7 nautical miles away from the action. Usually making sure we miss
the subsequent lineout/scrum/try.
a***@gmail.com
2013-03-15 23:45:46 UTC
Post by Mentalguy2k8
He does tend to take over, and literally during the Italy Wales game. I
tuned in late and didn't even notice until they explained at half-time that
the commentator had been replaced with Davies, he's always hogging the mic
anyway with his whiny voice.
Brian Moore is getting just as bad, he sounds like a bitter ex-pro sitting
in a pub nursing a pint and tutting and criticising everything that's on the
pub's telly. Doesn't even bother finishing his sentence half the time. I
thought it was just him and Butler that hated each other, but he seems to
annoy every commentator he's working with. John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.
I much prefer Sky or ITV's rugby coverage. BBC should bring in Murray
Mexted, he did co-commentary in some of the RWC games and was excellent
value.
I used to think Nigel Starmer-Smith was bad until I heard John Taylor. There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite like.
David W Noon
2013-03-16 00:18:12 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:45:46 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote
about Re: Does anyone like Jonathan Davies on BBC?:

[snip]
Post by a***@gmail.com
There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite like.
That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo. He has a strong Londonderry
accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.
- --
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***@spamtrap.ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
Remove spam trap to reply by e-mail.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
John Williams
2013-03-16 14:18:41 UTC
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 00:18:12 +0000, David W Noon
Post by David W Noon
[snip]
Post by a***@gmail.com
There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite like.
That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo. He has a strong Londonderry
accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.
I guess quirky might cover what Robson can say. On occasion I have
found him as objectionable as Steve Smith used to be when ITV did the
world cups in I guess 95 and 99. Smith was a disgrace pretty much all
the time though, from memory. Robson just drops hefty bricks now and
again, which has put me off him a bit.
--
All the best
John Williams
a***@gmail.com
2013-03-16 15:25:42 UTC
Post by David W Noon
[snip]
Post by a***@gmail.com
There's a Norn-Irish guy who works
for Sky, Bob Symonds I think is his name, who's commentary I quite
like.
That would be Mark Robson, a.k.a. Robbo. He has a strong Londonderry
accent and says some quirky things, although many are nonsensical.
Ah, yes, I stand corrected. He and Ieuan Evans seem to have a good relationship on the mic which is perhaps why I enjoy them more than the others.
Andy
Baldoni
2013-03-16 23:02:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Mentalguy2k8
[...]
Agreed John Taylor is bloody awful, too much education IMHO.
--
"Ce n'est qu'un début, continuons le combat !"

Count Baldoni
caspar milquetoast
Jonathan Daves, falsetto Welsh hobbit; Brian More, moaning pommy garden gnome -- the pair of them make Eddie Butler sounds vivacious and interesting, and Christ, that takes some doing.
Tom Weston
2013-03-25 13:48:45 UTC
Post by Mentalguy2k8
John Inverdale is a knob wih no
personality.
The thing I don't get with Inverdale is that he still loves to do his
"whither Wales" type comment at half time. Irrespective of national loyalties
he just has to rubbish the chances of some team who happen to be down at half time. You'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson in '99 but it's like he just can't help himself.
u***@gmail.com
2018-03-11 15:47:45 UTC
I agree whole heartedly. Davies can see no wrong with anything Wales does even when they mess up. And Moore is just as bad regarding England (and I'm am England supporter). Both old, bitter, whinging ex-players. Hate having to listen to them both. Get them gone.
David W Noon
2018-03-11 17:19:06 UTC
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 08:47:45 -0700 (PDT), in message
Post by u***@gmail.com
I agree whole heartedly. Davies can see no wrong with anything
Wales does even when they mess up. And Moore is just as bad
regarding England (and I'm am England supporter). Both old, bitter,
whinging ex-players. Hate having to listen to them both. Get them
gone.
Jiffy and Moore are the two most perspicacious sports commentators on
TV. I wish they would cover tennis and hockey too.
- --
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]